2023 Series Dates:
The class dates listed below indicate the start and end of each series. Weekly online Zoom classes
in between are held on the same day of the week and at the same time unless otherwise agreed upon at the first class as a group.
January- in progress
(COMPLETELY ONLINE- Accelerated 4-week class)
First class Wednesday, Jan 11 5:30pm-8:30pm
Last class Wednesday, Feb 8 5:30pm-8:30pm
May- 4 spots left
(COMPLETELY ONLINE- Accelerated 4-week class)
First class Thursday, May 4 5:30pm-8:30pm
Last class Thursday, June 1 5:30pm-8:30pm
One space in each class is offered as a partial scholarship with priority given to BIPOC and LGBTQ+ individuals. Scholarship families receive 75% off any group class rate.
Not finding a date that works for you? Check out the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Classes offered by my partner, fellow doula, and RN Jennifer Anderson at Birth Fusion!
See what recent attendees are
saying about our class:
The Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class is a “hybrid” curriculum for today's busy families. Together, we review evidence based information and discuss various comfort and advocacy techniques in a friendly, approachable way.
By taking the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class, you and your partner will not only learn the evidence for your birth options in an online class, but you’ll also get to meet live with an experienced instructor and other parents who are going through pregnancy and birth just like you! This class is limited to only 6 couples per session to ensure all families get the time and attention they deserve.
Who should take this class?
Anyone who wants the confidence, education, and tools to have an empowered birth and receive mentorship by your own Evidence Based Birth® Instructor, Shalin Butterworth.
Shalin knows the ideal way to birth is when you and your family feels safe, supported, confident, and empowered. This class is great for families choosing to birth in any setting- hospital, birth center, or home. Shalin has a wealth of knowledge and experience supporting families birthing in a hospital as well as those birthing outside of the hospital system. She would love to help you explore the best options for you and your family.
Shalin facilitates an inclusive, welcoming environment for pregnant persons and expecting families of any age, religion, race, sexual identity, gender identity, or family structure. And remember, all live classes are held on Zoom which means you can join us from anywhere!
Your online childbirth series includes:
• Skillful Mentorship from Shalin Butterworth, a certified birth and postpartum doula, certified lactation educator counselor, and Evidence Based Birth® Instructor.
• Five online Zoom classes with Shalin and your fellow classmates to review and discuss concepts such as the stages of labor, advocacy, comfort measures, the evidence around medical procedures and their non-medical alternatives, local and national maternity care and hospital statistics, creating birth plans, and preparing for the postpartum period. Classes between the 1st and last class will be scheduled as a group, at the first class.
• Five weeks of online videos for you and your partner to watch together.
PLUS ALL THESE GREAT BONUSES!
• BONUS: Breastfeeding and newborn care videos & discussion.
• BONUS: Access to a password-protected webpage that is packed with supplemental materials to help you prepare and remember what you learned as you get closer to birth.
• BONUS: All couples receive a special invitation to sign on with So Zen's Parent Mentoring Service. This includes 24/7 access to Shalin after the series is complete through your birth experience to ask a question, get a 2nd opinion, question if you should call your provider for a certain symptom, review the evidence on any intervention, get a reminder of alternatives to suggested interventions, and help with advocacy language. This affordable offer is not available to the general public, it is only available to families who have completed my EBB® Childbirth Class.
• BONUS: All attendees receive free access to Understanding Postpartum Health+Baby Care AND Understanding Your Newborn web app courses from Injoy! Check out the class package below to learn more about this awesome bonus!
You'll Learn All About:
• Partner Advocacy
• Evidence Based Care
• Overcoming Fears and Anxieties
• Comfort Measures
• Stages and Phases of Labor
• Navigating the Healthcare System
• Providers, Doulas, and Models of Care
• Building Your Support Team
• Navigating Interventions and Medical Inductions
• Communicating with Hospital Staff
• Knowing your Rights in Childbirth
• Natural and Medical Pain Relief
• Postpartum Care
• Newborn Procedures
• Baby Care
Childbirth Class Package
Complete, live 5-class series plus weekly videos and access to all PDFs and
supplementary learning resources.
Digital download of the EBB® Childbirth Class Workbook
Option to add on hardcopy workbook for $15.
3 months exclusive access to Evidence Based Birth® Parent Dashboard
Option to upgrade to 6 months of access to the parent dashboard for $15.
PLUS THESE GREAT GIFTS!
Complimentary access to a password-protected webpage that is packed with supplemental materials to help you remember what you learned and continue to prepare for your upcoming birth.
Free Understanding Postpartum Health+Baby Care web app course from Injoy Health Education. Enjoy research-based content and how-to videos that concisely present postpartum recovery care, baby care basics, and warning signs, in a way that’s engaging and effective.
Private Childbirth Class
The ultimate choice in flexible, personalized childbirth education! Learn at your own pace and receive individualized guidance from your very own childbirth mentor!
Everything from the standard class package
Hard copy spiral-bound EBB® Childbirth Class Workbook
Custom class schedule with all 5 classes held on dates and at times that work best for your family
Private one-on-one guidance and mentorship from Shalin
Exclusive access to the So Zen Birth online resource library packed with videos and resources on various comfort techniques, rebozo uses, and labor and birth positions. "This resource library is a birthing partner's best friend!"
Check out the amazing resources with whom I've partnered to make your childbirth class experience as well rounded as you want it to be.
Beautiful, evidence-based education at your fingertips with the Injoy web app courses.
Gain a deeper understanding with the media-rich web app, including video clips, 3D animation, download PDF’s, checklists, and more!
Access all the information at any time on your own device.
These families took my class and shared their experiences on the
Evidence Based Birth Podcast!
Hear the experience of other families who have taken the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class:
EBB 60 – Get to Know the New Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class!
EBB 61 – Using Knowledge to Navigate Birth with New Parents Annamarie and Drew
EBB 62 – Facing an unplanned Cesarean with parent Michelle Wilson
EBB 63 – Unexpectedly Easy Birth with New Parents Nichole and Todd
EBB 64 – Building trust during birth with parent Caley O’Brien
EBB 69 – Facing a difficult birth with knowledge and empowerment
EBB 72 – Confidence to Face Changing Birth Plans with Heather Hyden and Jimmy Earley
EBB 76 – Pushing Through Anxiety in Birth with Parent Emily Fleenor
EBB 85 – The power of a well-planned birth – of twins!
EBB 97 – Childbirth Prep and Realistic Expectations with Parent Bethany Clay
EBB 102 – Advocacy When Birth Gets Tricky with Parent Bess English
EBB 110 – Inside an Unplanned, Unassisted Home Birth with Parent Sabrina Tran
EBB 112 – How Evidence Based Birth® Changed Me as a Nurse with Jessica Hazboun
EBB 114 – Fighting for Birth Needs as a Single Parent with Jenny Russell
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can’t I just educate myself online using search engines and videos?
A: Would you rather have generic information that may or may not apply to your local area or information from a professional who has lived and worked in multiple birth settings in Sacramento and Yolo counties? Plus, a lot of that information you find online isn't accurate. Anyone can write a blog post or record a youtube video. The benefit of the Evidence Based Birth® Childbirth Class is that we curate evidence-based information and get you and your partner engaged in the learning process.
Q: Shouldn’t I just let the doctors and nurses tell me what to do?
A: Routine practices in some hospitals are still about 15 to 20 years behind the research, even here in Sacramento and Yolo counties. There is a lot of pressure to conform to traditions that might not be in your best interests. We will teach you and your partner how to be your own advocate—a skill you can use in and out of the medical care system for the rest of your life!
Q: My friends told me that taking a childbirth class is a waste of time.
A: There are a lot of poor-quality classes out there that have given childbirth education a bad reputation. Shalin is a personable, engaging, and invested instructor. The founder of Evidence Based Birth®, Rebecca Dekker, PhD, RN, APRN, knows how to make classes exciting for adults. The end result is a class that is motivating and fun to participate in.
Q: What will I actually learn in this class that could be of use to me?
A: We cover pain management techniques like massage, water immersion, upright birthing positions, acupressure, music therapy, and deep breathing, just to name a few. Both parents will learn how to be advocates through positive communication techniques. The stages of labor, newborn procedures, and the first 3 months of your baby's life will all be covered. Replace fear with excitement as your birthing day approaches!